Translate

Friday 12 September 2014

ARE YOU BEING HEARD?

There are so many things I’ve learnt from being treated unkindly, right from feeling like a doormat to being unheard and unseen, I’ve been through it all. I cannot claim my opinions to have not been valued, because for that, the fact that I’d even uttered a few words needed to be acknowledged! Yeah. There were times I’ve even been cut mid-sentence and a completely different topic was started, not even remotely linked to what was being discussed before.

Like it usually happens, I over-looked these occurrences numerous times until I noticed how much it happened. The next thing I did was sulk and sulk and sulk. I was in a sorry state. I avoided speaking if discussions were held in groups or even included a third party. I felt let down, insulted and extremely unwanted. My self-esteem had taken a blow.

Once I got over all the sulking, I began to analyze and deduce the conditions when this occurred. Call me desperate if you may, but I wanted to be heard. I realized a number of details I hadn’t paid attention to before. A major one being some people are ill-mannered assholes who don’t want to let other people speak. They think there’s a spotlight hovering above which they’re being immensely deprived off when a voice other than theirs is heard. These people do not let anyone else speak. A-N-Y-O-N-E. There’s nothing that can actually be done of them.

But something important that I actually stumbled into was, the question, “DO I VALUE MYSELF, MY WORDS, MY SELF-ESTEEM?” Sadly, the answer in spite of what I wanted to believe in, bordered on negative. You’ll know once you question yourself impartially. This is what triggers the problem in the first place. Your voice does not bear the firmness required. And that, my dear, is the truth. Nothing’s going to actually change if you don’t work on this basic aspect.

The magic to letting them know that you’re seriously saying what you are, is continuing what you were saying before they interrupted you. Start with, “I was saying______(continue whatever you were saying)______” and in extreme cases, follow up with “__ before you rudely interrupted me.” You’re going to love the expression on their face.


Apart from the self-esteem thing, what counts is also if you’re assertive enough, which probably you aren’t. One thing worth remembering though, is that with different people, the degree of assertion required is going to vary and you, my dear will have to recognize that or else you stand at a risk of being labeled ‘too bossy’ or ‘too submissive’.

They next time you interact with them, notice. They'll hear it-sure. But did they listen?

No matter what, you under each and every circumstance require to remember that-



YOUR OPINIONS, YOUR VOICE-IT MATTERS. YOU MATTER.



3 comments:

  1. Hi, just commenting to let you know I've gone through a few of your posts and the way you write is nice; very coherent and articulate. I met you once long back.
    Regarding the topic, I won't say much except that I agree. I mean, someone could be unravelling the mysteries of the universe and there'd still be some people who'd interrupt to say something irrelevant.
    I generally ignore such actions but I'm feeling particularly adventurous, I might say, "Sorry did I disturb your interruption with my talking" and move away :D
    Have a nice week and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Leez. Where'd we meet?
    Your answer to their interruption is awesome. I am a huge fan of sarcasm.
    Hope you have a great time too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well.. at times I think.. wat is imp.. !! to stay quiet infrnt of a bunch of uncultured idiots who are not ready to listen even if dey knw they are talking nonsense.. or to revolt by just breaking into the conversation agn n agn.. ending up behaving like dem.. I believe actions speak louder than words.. n prefer following the saying.. yess.. the feeling of rejection and not being heard pains.. it creates a feelin to break out at times.. bt I wud save these feeling to make me more stronger to express my thoughts thr actions.. the thoughts wch wer left unexpressed once..twice.. or many times..

    ReplyDelete